9.11.2006

John Mayer: Very "Uncomfortable" Being Linked To Jessica

John Mayer speaks! The last we heard on the subject was "someone close to John" reporting that he felt Jessica Simpson's camp was turning their casual friendship into something huge (a "2" they shot to an "11" - read our post about Papa Joe kicking publicist Rob Shuter to the curb in the archives!) as a publicity stunt to boost sales for her album, "A Public Affair". The singer speaks with Nancy O'Dell of Access Hollywood tonight, here are some juicy snippets from the interview!
John Mayer Speaks About Jessica Simpson Publicly For The First Time!
Nancy: “How do you react when you've been so much in the public eye, because of this relationship, whether it happened or not, so in a way, it's not bad publicity…”
John: “There's nothing about it at all that I wake up in the morning and go to bed at night and say to myself, "Hmm, it's kind of got a shiny edge to it." There's nothing about it that's interesting to me or fascinating with me. I wanna get where I wanna get because I got better on the guitar.”
Nancy: “Was it so bent? That you never even dated Jessica?”
John: “I want to acknowledge that there's two separate things happening. There's the home life that I defend as a guy who’s just here to play music, and you don't see me on red carpets like this...and like that.”
Nancy: “You don't even go to red carpets.”
John: “Don't go to red carpets. So it’s very odd for me and I just basically -- it’s very uncomfortable for me.”
“... There are real crises in the world; there are people who are fighting to keep their house warm and I'm not going to sit here and bite my nails because someone says that I might possibly have gone a date with a beautiful blond girl. I'm not going to sit here beating myself up over the head with it. But what is challenging to me is that I have a contract with my audience in a way, that I exist-- I'm their guy who's just here to play music, you know, and that has never changed. That has certainly not changed in the last 2 weeks and I'm here to play music, you know?”
Nancy: “Do you feel like it takes away from the music?”
John: “Absolutely.”
Nancy: “But there are the people that would go, now they're more fascinated with you and they may go out and get your album because they're fascinated with your relationship.”
John: “In my mind, that's cheating.”
Source: US Magazine
John didn't confirm or deny whether the relationship was what everyone imagined it to be (or still is), so you'll have to be the judge. Tune in to Access Hollywood tonight for the rest of the interview!